SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ship collision - that is going to leave a mark
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Ship collision - that is going to leave a mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarlson View Post
After watching this, it looks like the smaller ship tried to pass the larger one and them turn across his bow in order to avoid the ship crossing ahead. I think only after the smaller one turned did the situation become dangerous. This would explane the lack of danger signals until just before impact. Hot Rod freighter driver?
I don't think so. I guess this guy is correct except in what regards turning left. I guess the pilot on the smaller boat had the rudder hard to the right:

"Beks Halil was obviously overrunning the smaller vessel, but at a very close distance, dangerously close (most probably because bulk carrier couldn’t take more to the left because of the opposite traffic). To make things worse, the smaller vessel suddenly started to turn left."

Bulk Carrier and Cargo Ship Collide in the Straits of Singapore | Officer of the Watch

Some interesting comments here:

Bulker collision in the Straits of Singapore.

On this longer video we can see that they had a Ship forward so the big ship has not a big space to overtake the smaller one. Stupid accident

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 03-14-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook