View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Boat Buying Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterybee View Post
Hi Sloop!

I've seen that figure before, and I'm prepared to work with it if all else fails, but at best it represents a vague number. What I'm trying to do is hammer down fixed costs.

- Insurance, marina costs, winter wrap, basic maintenance... these things are predictable, annual expenses that I'd like to identify.
- Transfer fees, surveys and such are one-time purchase costs that I'd like to identify.
- Longer term maintenance costs like new sails depend largely on rate of use, conditions and quality of care. If I'm not out there racing every Wednesday evening, I don't think it'd be appropriate to anticipate the same rate of spending.

Anyway, I've had another talk with the Marina and narrowed down their costs: $84 / ft for the slip, haulout, launch, pumpout and hydro. $4 / sq ft for winter storage. (she conveniently failed to mention that part the first time we spoke) That works out roughly to $4k + tax per year for a 37 foot boat.

Specifics are good. I like specifics.
Generalities are for people who aren't married to accountants.
I think you're starting to see why a generalized figure is used - there are SO many little things that lots of them get overlooked and nothing on a 35' boat costs less than a boat dime ($100).

Unless you're a professional estimator, using a rule of thumb will probably prove to be a more realistic total.

Does the boat have charts? $20 a pop, charting tools? easy $50, hoses need replacing? $$$ per foot, light fixture dead? $50 on up each.

If you put a LOT of planning in you might get your initial expenditure pretty close but long term? Use the generalized figure.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook