SailNet Community - View Single Post - Weatherfax audio file for testing
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Weatherfax audio file for testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombesore View Post
You inspired me to do my own little test this morning. I found that I was receiving solid signals (S9+20db) from the 4Kilowatt NMG New Orleans Coast Guard transmitters during their morning run of WEFAX transmissions. The image below was received through a modern HF amateur radio transceiver and fed into the Multimode for Mac program. The frequency was 8502 kHz USB.
Hi Tom,

That's pretty fuzzy. I rarely see anything that bad. Icom 802/AT140/SCS PTC-IIpro/Airmail-GetFax I was getting near-Internet quality pictures from Boston well East of Azores. Up and down the US East Coast I get Boston and New Orleans really well.

I've had similarly good results using a Kaito 1103 and JVCOMM32 with a big hunk of copper wire hauled up as high as possible. The antenna makes a big difference.

Did you collect your signal aboard the ferry at your club? Could there be interference from being at the dock or even from internal systems? On delivery I've had a number of noisy boats that required shutting systems down to get a good fax image -- obviously a pain if you're shutting down refrigeration for a six hour wefax cycle.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook