SailNet Community - View Single Post - Weatherfax audio file for testing
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Weatherfax audio file for testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombesore View Post
You inspired me to do my own little test this morning. I found that I was receiving solid signals (S9+20db) from the 4Kilowatt NMG New Orleans Coast Guard transmitters during their morning run of WEFAX transmissions. The image below was received through a modern HF amateur radio transceiver and fed into the Multimode for Mac program. The frequency was 8502 kHz USB.

As you can see, the image is fair at best, even with a very solid S9 signal and modern reception gear. This is typical of the images I've been able to pull in. The pics are fair at best and most of the time I can barely make out the notations.

Has anyone else had better luck pulling in higher quality pictures over HF? Let's see what you got!

By the way, I also set my iPad next to the speaker with that BlackCat Wefax program running and, while the same image did appear on the iPad, it was far worse quality!

WEFAX Image
That's fairly distorted. I sometimes get similar results if I forget to turn off equipment like the converter. It looks like interference. Have you tried ferrite beads on cables? What kind of counterpoise?