SailNet Community - View Single Post - Headed North...
Thread: Headed North...
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Headed North...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Jon,

The outside trip saves about 68 miles if you leave Florida at Fernandina Inlet and come back inside at Paris Island. Also takes a lot of the headaches out of the excursion with Georgia's unkept segment of the ICW. Today, the winds were howling at 25 and gusty from the north and northwest, so I opted to remain inside and spend the night at Jekyll Harbor Marina, where I can also spend the night in relative comfort with their electrical power hookup. Tonight's forecast is for temperatures in the 30s.

Tomorrow morning, I'll head out of the inlet at Saint Simons and make my way north to Paris Island or Beaufort, SC.

Cheers,

Gary
Thanks, Gary, I'm well aware of the distance saved and other issues with running the Ditch... That's why the ONLY times I'll run inside - particularly between Morehead City/Beaufort and the Florida line - is when the weather absolutely compels me to do so... (grin)

The point I was making, is simply that a considerable distance is added by going up inside to St Simons, and then back out from there... From the ICW departing from St Marys Entrance, the distance up to the St Simons sea buoy is roughly 24 NM... By running inside to St Simons, and then out from there, you'll have traveled approx. 40 NM to reach the same spot...

Hope the seas lay down for you, and that you don't hit Port Royal Sound on the ebb... If you do, that will be a LONG ride back inside... You might consider staying out longer, and going back in at the South Edisto River, instead... Coming from the south, that's a good way to come into Charleston, and that will save a lot of ICW miles between Port Royal/Beaufort and the Edisto River... South Edisto is by far the shortest In & Out along this part of the coast, whenever I need to make a pit stop for fuel or sleep when running down the coast, I'll often stop at Edisto Marina... Nice little off spot off the beaten track, and a terrific restaurant upstairs...

Sounds like you've got a lot of SW in your forecast over the next several days, enjoy...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook