SailNet Community - View Single Post - Headed North...
Thread: Headed North...
View Single Post
  #29  
Old 03-15-2013
JonEisberg JonEisberg is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,397
Thanks: 0
Thanked 114 Times in 101 Posts
Rep Power: 4
JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Headed North...

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
Jon,

I have not made this trip. I am wondering how much ground you are referring to that would be lost leaving from St. Simon's. How many miles before you can turn ne? Some of that distance is easterly so that would not be lost. It just doesn't look to me like a serious detour. It might add an hour or two to the trip at best. Is that a fair estimate? I am not trying to be contrary, just wondering about the choice. It might shorten the trip if weather is favorable and traveling inside is avoided.

Thanks for your experience.

Down
In my last reply to Gary above, I explain why I might have just waited another day in Fernandina and going out from there, instead...

From St. Simons, the choice whether to go back outside there, or continue up the ditch and out at Sapelo, will mostly depend on the tides, and wind... The distance from the ICW out to the St. Simons sea buoy is roughly 10 NM, about 8 NM to the point where you could safely leave the channel and turn NE... You're right, it does trend to the SE, so it's not like you're headed in the entirely wrong direction, but still... Otherwise, the overall distance to the Sapelo Sound sea buoy is approximately the same, whether going back out at St Simons, or continuing up the ICW and out at Sapelo...

High water in that area today comes at about 1100... From where Gary is, he could catch the last of the ebb out of St Simons with a departure at low tide - but unfortunately that would involve leaving in the dark, and running through the stretch behind Jekyll Island (one of the shallower spots in Georgia) at dead low water. He'd be better placed to ride the ebb out had he continued further yesterday, up to Golden Isles Marina behind St Simons... Of course, that would have likely involved running Jekyll Sound at low water yesterday afternoon, but at least it would have been during daylight...

But leaving this morning at a more gentlemanly hour from Golden Isles (leave there too early in the AM, and you'd miss the delicious homemade muffins the dockmaster puts in the cockpit of transient guests each morning) and going up inside, you could catch the fair current from the flood into the sound, and up the Mackay River, and arriving at the troublesome area of Altamaha Sound/Little Mud River on a rising tide, and eventually pick up the ebb in the afternoon and ride it down the entire length of the Mud River and out Sapelo Sound... So, today the tides would work pretty favorably for that option of going up inside, and either for continuing out and doing an overnight, or anchoring up in a nice creek behind Sapelo Island and departing the sound on the ebb early the following AM...

Of course, all this becomes moot if conditions are favorable for actually sailing outside, then it would be a no-brainer to leave from St Simons... Odds are you'd be doing little pure sailing on the ICW, with the possible exception of the longer, straight stretch down the Mud River to Sapelo Sound...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook