SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
I am planning on doing some deck work and everyone says this is the time to run lines to the cockpit. What lines should I run aft? Right now the only lines aft are the main sheet, jib sheets, topping lift and travelers. I was planning on running the cunningham and boom vang back. Should I do main halyard? Spin Halyard? I am going to be using an Asym. Spinnaker I assume the topping lift isnt needed? Anyone have before and after pics?
Hey,

IMHO, for single handing, the nicest piece of gear is an autopilot. With the AP on, I can leave the wheel and do whatever needs to be done. Depending on your boat layout, just having lines run to the cockpit may not be enough. For example my boat has the typical layout of traveler on the cabin top with control lines led port and starboard. If I am at the wheel I can't reach the main sheet or the traveler lines. So even though those lines are 'led aft' I can't reach them unless I leave the wheel. Since I don't particularly like to steer, I usually use the AP (or have a guest steer) and this allows me to trim the sails to my heart's content.

Regarding the main halyard, where is your reef line? If you need to go to the mast to reef then running the halyard aft isn't going to help. On my 28' boat I had single line reefing (led aft) and the main halyard aft too. It was very easy to raise and lower the main from the cockpit as well as put in a reef. On my 35' boat there is too much friction to make raising the main from the cockpit easy (but it's very easy to do from the mast). There is also too much friction for single line reefing to be easy. So I raise / lower the main from the mast, as well as put in the reef at the mast too.

I do have the outhall, vang, topping lift, and reefing line (for the rear of the sail) run aft.

Lastly, I am 49 years old, fit, and with good balance. I find it easy to leave the cockpit to go to the mast (or bow) and perform any necessary tasks. I don't have a complicated dodger / bimini setup that makes leaving the cockpit difficult, and my boat has decent hand holds as I go forward.

Take care,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook