SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Lets choose SmackDaddy's new boat...

22K views 151 replies 74 participants last post by  chucklesR 
#1 ·
Okay crew, it's time to rally behind one of our wounded comrades. For those of you who didn't hear, Smackdaddy's beloved SmackTanic sank. Details here:The Saddest Day of a Sailors Life

I don't know about you guys, but when a sailor's boat sinks it's a H-U-G-E deal. Thankfully I haven't experienced this feeling (yet) but I have come back to my wooden boat in the yard to find an 8ft crack in the hull. I knew she would never sail again and I wept like a little girl. Really, I did.

I, for one, think that SmackDaddy has done a lot for SailNet. He's started some interesting threads and with a teflon-like quality has avoided the mud slinging matches with good cheer and quick wit. He encourages the SailNet-lings and doesn't feed the trolls. SmackDaddy hasn't logged on to SailNet in five days. Anyone else notice the difference around here?

How can we help? I think we can do two things:

First, we can buy some BFS gear from his site. If everyone who enjoy's smack's contribution bought a BFS beer cozy, I think he'd be well on his way to a new boat. Even if the financial contribution is small, it'd be a real show of support for a fellow sailor who loves sailing and SailNet. Spend your coin here: BFSshop.com, is the official home of BFS Gear for Big Freakin Sails!

Second, lets help him pick a new boat. Boats represent dreams, future or present and I think we all know that. Smack needs to have a new boat to keep the dream alive and let's start by helping him choose one with this thread. All ideas and contributions are welcome. Catamaran or mono? Fin or full? Contributions from Smack himself are welcome but will probably be ignored since we all know that SailNet knows all. ;)

So, knowing Smack as we do. What boat should he get for his ocean-going next boat?

MedSailor

See less See more
#31 ·
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your boat and I can see how your marina went from being quite safe to quite dangerous because of the drought. The only consolation from an event like this is that it gives you an opportunity, perhaps unwanted, but an opportunity nonetheless.

#34 ·
Oh no, Smackdaddy, I just read about your boat. Very sorry to hear that. I can't recommend you what boat you should have, since I am bootless becasue I don't know what to buy. :D. However, I can buy some some cool stuff from your site.

If you happen to buy a 2013 HR 412, I'd like to take a pic myself. :)

#39 ·
I didn't realize so few knew of this. Smack posted it in his BFS thread. A real tragedy.

I'm willing to bet he's out of touch because he rented some scuba gear and is now at 100 ft below the surface in recovery mode. Recovering the bottle of rum he told us was aboard.

There must be some legal/insurance mess over this one. I understand he had liability but no hull coverage. One question is going to be what liability the marina holds for not properly afixing a bumper that he pointed out had fallen off prior to the storm. Hard to say it would have mattered.

#41 · (Edited)
Aww man! That bites!

Hope there's a happy ending.

#43 ·
The liability sure is an interesting question. Moving a dock out from a sheltered location to a wide open one...I suspect most of the owners weren't happy with that but it was the only way to keep their boats wet so they accepted it. And if that's a reservoir...I hate to ask if wreck removable and pollution abatement are first going to be required as well, so the boats may have to be raised and removed. A hundred feet but at the shore...towtruck & hawser?

#44 ·
...I hate to ask if wreck removable and pollution abatement are first going to be required as well, so the boats may have to be raised and removed. A hundred feet but at the shore...towtruck & hawser?
I asked the same in the other thread. It may be an upside to having his liability pay for the recovery. But he would just have a hulk, presumably with a big hole in it. I hope it isn't becoming more of a liability for him. We have lakes that fine you by the day until you retrieve your stuff.

He didn't deserve this.

#48 ·
Just now saw this and read Smack's heartbreaking account. Really, really sorry, man. It's like the drought set you up for the windstorm like a one-two punch.

#51 ·
Sweet baby cheeses! Those pictures of the aftermath are heart wrenching!

Sorry for your loss Smacky Steve.

Since this is sailnut and we know everything I cant resist adding the following comments.

Grab that old cleat from the SmackTanic as a memento. You will note that the nuts are still attached which means it pulled right through the deck. I've been on a Catalina 27' and I wondered why they (Catalina) did not use backing plates for the mooring cleats. The horn cleats were also a bit on the small side if I recall.

Another observation is that you should not leave your Bimini deployed when away from the boat. Extra windage is not what you needed during that freak blow like you experienced.

We went through something similar here early last November: h'cane Sandy. Our club lost 20 out of about 100 moored boats. The combined high winds an the 10' storm surge was what did most boats in. It is always a combination of factors that gets you in the end. I thought that for sure our boat was a goner but by some miracle we survived; probably because we took off ALL canvas (no Bimini), checked the mooring chain and our mooring cleat is anchored through a hunk of 2" x 6" underneath the fore deck.

Backing plates and reduce windage.

Sorry for your loss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.