SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

If you run everything aft it has to work.. this means good gear, blocks, the right tackle etc..

I agree that for this kind of the a working autopilot is a huge advantage, being able to move around the boat and tend to things without having to dash back and forth to correct a course or wind angle is really nice.

Headsail halyards (if not furling), spinnaker lines, downhauls, vang if applicable are all good candidates. Depending on the boat I'm not sure I'd run the main halyard aft unless the reefing lines are run aft too. If you have to go to the mast to deal with the reef tack and clew, the halyard may as well be there too. (and see 'autopilot' reference above )

Running reef lines aft is the most problematic, as they are going to be the most friction-prone. This can add up to a good bit of good (costly) gear, but it's out there if you want it.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook