SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Buying Costs
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013

mysterybee is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat Buying Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
We do most things ourselves, and that's a considerable savings over time. Occasionally it's true we may have been better off hiring a pro, but all in all we've been satisfied with most of the work we took on ourselves.
Hi Faster,

This is a bit off-topic but it is something else I've been interested in. What, specifically, do you do yourself? I've done very minor electrical/plumbing/carpentry work around the house, but I'd be reluctant to start taking a boat motor apart. Can you give me some examples of tasks you trusted yourself to do right away vs those that you wanted to watch a professional do first before taking it on?

I'm still pricing yacht clubs/marinas in the area, but given the lack of availability, I may find my decision already made for me. Also, I'm not clear on the need for de-stepping the mast. Is it absolutely necessary or is it a matter of personal preference?

Oh, and I think I may need a link to a boat re-naming ceremony. If I get stuck with something called "Air Supply" I may need to get my stomach pumped.

Cheers!

G
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook