SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Buying Costs
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Boat Buying Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterybee View Post
Hi Faster,

This is a bit off-topic but it is something else I've been interested in. What, specifically, do you do yourself? ........
Cheers!

G
I've been a DIYer pretty well all my life.. built my first runabout at 16 years old, took on a full-on kitchen remodel in my 20s both with guidance from my Dad. Rebuilt car engines, painted a couple of cars in my youth, some boats later on.

We've also never had a lot of free spending money so in many cases our DIY projects were a matter of necessity over desire. And most of this in the days before the 'internet instruction manual' era.

So to be specific, over the years we've swapped engines, rebuilt an engine, modified interior layouts, rebuilt structural sections, installed all our upgrades and added hardware, top-to-bottom Awlgrip repaint, we do all the routine annual maintenance - bottom paint, prop servicing, zincs etc, filter and oil changes, water pump service/replacement etc.

Canvas work, upholstery, rigging components, sails, SS fabrication, welding etc we've left to the pros.

It's not for everyone but I'd suspect that there are plenty of us here in more or less the same space. And there's a tradeoff.. We repainted a 40 footer topsides and deck, added an anchor locker and cockpit lazarette access prior to painting the deck and painted the rig.. a 4-6 week project and it cost us about $6K all up.. the same job by a pro would have run into probably $15-20K so we 'saved' a bundle.. did it look as good as the pro would have done? Not a chance..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook