SailNet Community - View Single Post - Plan of Attack in BVI, Island Hopping
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013

SolSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Plan of Attack in BVI, Island Hopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Looks like meats are now prohibited, but other imports just drive a 5% to 15% import duty.

Robes, have a great time! You've planned well, but be careful. BVI does not work like a swiss watch, you have to go with the flow and the flow is slow. Sometime is just isn't flowing. I swear, the more you plan the worse it gets.
From the BVI Customs website...

Customs - Importation of Food
Yacht owners, charter guests, and visitors may bring food into the British Virgin Islands. For the time being, however, because of the worldwide threat of Hoof and Mouth and Mad Cow Disease, a law is in effect which bans the importation of any meat products unless an application is submitted to the Department of Agriculture for approval. Approved permits cost $25.00. For more information, please call the Department of Agriculture at 284- 495-2532. Visitors coming from the North America with meat products for consumption during their stay will not have to fill out the application, if they are bringing less than 40LBs of meat.

Good quality, fresh foods are available in the British Virgin Islands from several grocery stores and provisioners on a year-round basis. BVI import duties charged on food products range between 5% and 15% of the invoice value.

For more information on import regulations and tariffs, please contact the BVI Customs Department Phone: (284-494-3475). Open from 8:30am to 6:30pm

Although I've never been, I think it could save you quite a bit on food if you do indeed pack a cooler of frozen meat... and depending on your airline perks you have (I'm Delta Diamond), the cooler could be part of your free luggage allowance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook