SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fuel Cleaning Service - Yes or No?
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 03-15-2013
christyleigh

Re: Fuel Cleaning Service - Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I do not have a inspection port on the tank and I do not want to install one so thats out of the question.
My answer to your basic question is YES, but I would be asking exactly what they are going to do to clean the sludge out of an '82 tank without an inspection port.

I should have been doing what you are doing when I bought my boat in your area in 2005. After my 2 - 75 gal tanks baked in your Annapolis sun for 2 years with very little use with the 2nd owner the first bash down Delaware Bay gave me my first of 7 total daily filter blocks which stopped me dead on my self-delivery to NGBay. Back in 2005 in RI I paid $1000 to have the fuel cleaned but I don't know if they did much if anything to the tanks. The next year I set up a "Filter-Boss" system and have been trouble free since - but mine is a '99 so I think most of the problem was caused by the second owner lack of use which was re-enforced by the mechanic who while investigating my oil burning issue discovered a stuck vane in the Turbo. Instead of trying to sell me anything or service hours $$$$ he just basically said - Use IT.... Hard. You on the other hand, may have some very old stuff in there so maybe they could get it out for you.

Stan
'Christy Leigh'
NC 331
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome