SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fuel Cleaning Service - Yes or No?
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Re: Fuel Cleaning Service - Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I do not have a inspection port on the tank and I do not want to install one so thats out of the question.
My answer to your basic question is YES, but I would be asking exactly what they are going to do to clean the sludge out of an '82 tank without an inspection port.

I should have been doing what you are doing when I bought my boat in your area in 2005. After my 2 - 75 gal tanks baked in your Annapolis sun for 2 years with very little use with the 2nd owner the first bash down Delaware Bay gave me my first of 7 total daily filter blocks which stopped me dead on my self-delivery to NGBay. Back in 2005 in RI I paid $1000 to have the fuel cleaned but I don't know if they did much if anything to the tanks. The next year I set up a "Filter-Boss" system and have been trouble free since - but mine is a '99 so I think most of the problem was caused by the second owner lack of use which was re-enforced by the mechanic who while investigating my oil burning issue discovered a stuck vane in the Turbo. Instead of trying to sell me anything or service hours $$$$ he just basically said - Use IT.... Hard. You on the other hand, may have some very old stuff in there so maybe they could get it out for you.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook