SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Saare 41AC

The Magazine "yacht" tested the new Saare 41 AC and I guess that it would be difficult to said better about the boat:

"Excellent sailing characteristics and high quality development - the twelve-meter yacht from Estonia is a true alternative to the established, traditional Scandinavian brands."

They forget to say that the boat costs less than the other Scandinavian boats and that would be important for some. certainly a boat to look at if the ideal boat is a Halberg-Rassy. They also have a CC version.

The interior:

SaareYachts.com - Saare 41ac - 360

SaareYachts.com - Saare 41ac - 360

I never sailed the boat but I like very much the design parameters:

The boat has a moderated beam (3.92m) a moderated draft (2.00m) a modern bulbed keel with a high B/D ratio (40%) and a considerable rocker (not a flat hull). That high B/D ratio permits it to compensate the bigger hull form stability of a HR 412 (beam 4.15m, B/D ratio 36%) but gives it a better reserve stability.

It has a very good stability curve. This one is from the 41cc, the one from the 41ac would be better since the boat has the same ballast but weights less 700kg. It will have an even higher AVS and a smaller inverted stability and this curve has already a big AVS and a very small inverted stability area. The proportion between the positive area and the negative are is also excellent. Only the max GZ reflects that more moderated beam. The GZ at 30º is almost the same:

The boat is considerably lighter than a HR (9800kg to 11000kg). This does not make the Saare specially light for a 41 ft. A performance 41ft will weight about 2000kg less.

Being lighter and with less beam the Saare 41 needs less sail area than the HR: It carries upwind 86m2 and the HR 90m2, both boats with jib. With less 4m2 of sail but also with less 1200kg and less beam, the Saare will be faster in most conditions. Better and more comfortable upwind and will have also a better reserve stability. The HR will sail with a bit less heel and will be just a bit more steady downwind.

I find the Saare more elegant, in fact, very elegant in a classic sort of way. In fact I like a lot this boat.

Have a look at the HR and its stability curve, also a good one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 03-15-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook