SailNet Community - View Single Post - Nerd needs some nerd help with DIY ipad media/automation system.
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013

xymotic is on a distinguished road
Nerd needs some nerd help with DIY ipad media/automation system.

I'm refitting my boat from the ground up, I'm a bit of a nerd, and I'm flat broke.

So, what I want is a totally trick high-end system and spend little if no money.
I'd like to tie everything together and be able to control lights, TV, audio (everything!) from an ipad. I'd also like *most* of the system to be very low power.

The problem I've encountered so-far is that all of the ready to go ipad hometheater control systems I've found such as Features | iPhone and iPad Universal Remote Control for Home Theaters – Roomie Remote charge upwards of $100 for each device to interface with the boat's lighting or TV IR, network etc. Which is way out of my budget.

So far my plan is to have a Western Digital media player connected via HDMI to a 32" tv, and optical TOSLINK to a dolby digital decoder like Cheap 5.1-Channel DTS/AC-3 Home Theater Audio Decoder THen a few simple amps to a 5.1 speaker system in the Salon and probably 4 in the cockpit. I want something like the little PYLE 2 or 4 ch units (but I'm concerned they may not actually sound too good) (oppinions? Better choices?)

The TV is a power pig but I think I can do a relatively simple system for music streaming audio via Bluetooth. But I get stuck on a decent remote controllable hdmy source selector switch, and the aforementioned ipad/network interfaces.

So I'm looking for any cool(cheap!) gadgets you nerds might know of to help me with the ultimate goal of controlling everything from an ipad. I'm not above doing some tinkering making a power supply or whatnot, but hey if it already exists for cheap... did I mention I'm kinda lazy too? so far the leader is: http://www.onofftech.com/index.htm?M...automation.htm or a real DIY with arduino. Anyone already done such a thing?

Last edited by xymotic; 03-16-2013 at 03:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook