SailNet Community - View Single Post - Finish for new mahogany
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Finish for new mahogany

I've used just about everything there is. Ironically, after two winter brightwork failures on my cockpit table, I've gone back to the original. Epifanes clear spar varnish. Its been around for 100 years, despite all the new fangled coatings, for a reason.

I'd forgotten how much nicer it is to work with real varnish. Its a bit time consuming, as you must wait at least 24 hrs between coats and 6 to 10 are necessary, depending on exposure. You must also sand between coats, but that also allows for a smoother finish and its easier to thoroughly recoat, when not applying over another shiny surface.

They make a variety of matte, satin, gloss etc.

I know you aren't a fan of gloss, but here is my work in progress. 6 coats, I may get 10 on before I'm done. Its a leaf from our cockpit table. The reflection is the pic hanging on the wall behind it.

photo (2).jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook