SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Full or fin keel?

Perhaps I'm mistaken but I thought the 50 was a boat Dystra drew for himself ~10-15y ago for high latitude sailing. I thought the conversion from aluminium to glass was the recent event. Both are sweet boats but the interiors of some of the metal ones are gorgeous. He also drew a 45' version. Put a lifting keel in that and you have it covered for me.
Paulo- If you sailed in New England much you would not ask your last question. A lobster pot line isn't going to break a single or double rudderpost. Hell you could pick up my boat by it's rudderpost. Often when sailing with any kind of sea at night you see them at the last second. Dodging pick up buoys is a New England sport. May be wrong but over half the boats you mention are single rudder. Tried to get the features I wanted ( no metal tanks, no keel bolts, no portlights in the hull, no balsa etc.) and the layout modified - Outbound met these desires- others did not.
O- Hang in there kiddo. Just realize P+H have a lot of experience too. Wife saved up and brought some stress ease chairs. Have a rocker (design over 100y old). Guess which one I like after a hard days work. Still, sleep in a pencil post bed I made myself. My clothes are in a highboy I made from a 150 year old design. They work, are beautiful in my eyes and warm my black heart.(grin)

Last edited by outbound; 03-16-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook