SailNet Community - View Single Post - Singlehanded Running Backs
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Singlehanded Running Backs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunbird View Post
Be wary of wraps around the forestay, especially if you ease the sheet beforehand...
I agree. I forgot to mention squaring the pole at the same time, overtrimming the guy as you ease the sheet. That way you will have an easier time jibing. I tend to steer the boat about 20 degrees off DDW. For me, the key is to jibe the pole quickly. Once you attach the pole to the new guy and push it out to leeward quickly, it will not wrap. In the meantime, if the sail is flying independently of the pole, and hopefully flying far enough away from the forestay, it is unlikely to wrap. But, this is really a finesse moment for the particular boat and solo sailor.

Make sure the foreguy is not restricting the movement of the pole before you do your end-for-end jibe. Make sure the guy will release easily from the pole jaw when you open it. Make sure the sheet is sufficiently eased so you will be able to push the pole out fully to leeward. The worst thing is to end up at the mast, unable to complete the jibe because you cannot make the pole end to the mast.

(As you feel more comfortable with the procedure, you can even move the leeward jib sheet to its proper position on top of the leeward side of the pole topping lift bridle before you attach the pole to the new guy, so you will be able to raise the jib easily, when the time comes to douse. This makes the douse much easier because the spinnaker will be blanketed by the jib as you head closer to DDW. Grab the eased spin sheet, pull under the boom, release the guy completely, and slowly release the halyard as you pull first the spinnaker foot and then the luff and body of the sail as the head drops quickly under the boom to leeward and stuff into the cabin through the companionway. Several seconds later, you will end up with the sail quickly stowed in the cabin and the spinsheet clew still under-trimmed in your right hand. If you do it right, pulling as fast as you can, it almost feels like the spinnaker is dropping right into the cabin, it happens so quickly and easily. Pull too slowly and the head drops into the water to leeward.)

After jibing the pole, scramble back to the cockpit to jibe the main sail as you steer on your new jibe angle downwind. Ease the guy and trim the sheet for the new jib angle. I haven't filmed myself doing this because I have not ventured into the field of comedic videos of Chinese fire drills yet.

Practice, practice, practice. The first time I wrapped the spinnaker around the forestay and had to abandon the spinnaker run while I manually unwrapped it. Evans advises practicing a series of pole-less jibes, going from one 30 degree angle from DDW to another, jibing repeatedly, so you learn how to fly the sail without a pole. That is probably a good idea, although I have not taken his advice in that regard, yet.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 03-17-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook