My Next and Hopefully Last Boat - Which One?
I am starting the search for my next boat which I am looking to buy within the next 2 years. I currently sail an Ericson 29 and am looking to move up to something larger that can take me farther. I have put together a list of my criteria which includes:
- 35-40 feet
- Max 5 foot draft, will be berthed near Oriental NC and want to do Bahamas.
- 1980 or newer
- Budget is max $50,000
- Encapsulated keel
- Wheel steering
- Aft cabin, as comfortable as possible
- Swim step
- Diesel engine
- Good tankage and storage
- Center cockpit is desired but not required
- Good ventilation
- Good anchoring platform
- Comfortable Cockpit
- Bimini/Dodger desired
- Well constructed and reliable. Blue water capable would be a bonus.
- Use will be varied. Looking for it to be capable of doing a 3-4 month trip to Caribbean, day sails, overnights.
- Sail with crew but also singlehanded.
- Good sail performance, a race winner is not required.
- Pristine not required, willing to do some work.
I have looked through Yachtworld and have come up with some options that appear to meet these requirements like the Oday 40, Irwin 37 CC and some Beneteau like the First and the Idyll. The Hunter 37 Cherubini looks good but no swim step. There are about 160 boats just along the East Coast that come up when I enter my basic parameters which is a lot to look through.
Can anyone recommend particular boats that meet these conditions I should be looking for?
You will regret the things you did not do, more than the things you did.
Get out there!
Saco Bay, Maine
1971 Ericson 29