SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
I concede......I now realize it is impossible to defend a boat of my own personal taste against someone who feels that anything other than their personal taste, the "latest, greatest, cutting edge"(what ever that the marketing industry is pushing at the time) is an inferior boat.
This is not about my personal taste. If you go to the Interesting sailboat thread you will find all types of boats including traditional like you own and classic. I have said already that in what regards traditional boats I have a soft spot for them and I even owned one.

This thread is about Fin Keels versus Full keels design and performance. Has nothing to so with the superiority of a given sailboat but with the performance of both keels.

In what regards boat design a full keel is something from the past, not used anymore in boat design because there are more efficient keels available whatever is the boat use. NA don't use them anymore, it is as simple as that.

This does not mean that there is not great designs from the past with full keel that performs very well. But it means that when a NA wants to recreate a classic boat from the past (not a replica) does that using more efficient fin keels and spade rudders. I guess that says it all.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 03-16-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook