SailNet Community - View Single Post - Comparing a P36-2/C36/C34
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Comparing a P36-2/C36/C34

I looked and studied (for a long time) the 1985-1991 Pearson 36-2, the 37-2, and the 38. All three boats share the same basic hull. The interior layouts are different, and the keel and deck options evolved over time. I had also sailed the 36-2 for a week long charter, and, overall, love the boat.

The 36-2 was introduced as a 1985 model and was available as a fin keel or centerboard version. The fin keel drew 6.5', and the centerboard drew 4.2' up, and 8.5' down. In 1989 Pearson introduced a winged keel, which drew 5'. To the best of my knowledge, these all had solid glass hulls, with a balsa cored deck. The total sail area was 660 sq ft. Here is the profile of the boat;

The head is to port of the companionway steps, and there is a full cabin to starboard. Here is a picture of the layout of the 36-2:

Despite my affection, there are some areas that I don't like (these are my opinions, take them for what they are worth);
  • The saloon table, which was mounted on a pedestal, would lower to convert the U shaped setee into a double berth. The problem is that the mount for the table would become loose and wobble. Many of these boats had to have owner installed buttressing of the table mount.
  • Most of the Pearson 36-2s that I saw had lots of water intrusion in the deck, especially on the port side, over the electrical panel (bad place for a leak). Preform a check with a moisture meter, and check the wiring behind the panel before you buy.
  • Access to the engine (which is under the double sink) is limited.

As the design evolved over the years, Pearson introduced a walk through/sugarscoop transom, which was, IMHO, well executed. I would place a (~$3K) premium on a later boat with this feature.

I hope this helps!

PM me with any specific questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 03-16-2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Doh! - port=left; starboard = right
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook