SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

Put me in the old curmudgeon category. Sheets and running backs go to the cockpit. Everything else is at the mast. I have yet to sail a boat with lines aft that hadn't built up enough friction to require grinding about everything up with a winch, a time-consuming process. I can get everything done faster at the mast, including the time to get out there and back.

Further, and specific to my boat, the hard windscreen and dodger above keep most of the cockpit really dry. There is no way I'm going to punch holes in that for lines and let water through.

Y'all can do as you please. I deliver enough boats in different configurations to be confident in my conclusions. Running halyards and adjustment lines into the cockpit is one of those ideas that seems superficially appealing but in reality turns out to reduce both safety and operational performance.

I feel that way about enclosures too so it is likely that the concepts are related.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook