SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
New Alubat Cigale 18

After the Cigale 16:

Alubat is presenting the new Cigale 18. An even more beautiful boat and a boat that can be sailed with a short crew or even solo. This is a boat that have received all the knowledge from the solo Open60 in what regards easy of use and solo sailing, a very fast boat for a cruising one, made of aluminium and pointed clearly (as the Cigale 16) to long range voyaging. It has a huge garage for a dinghy

I guess that for this boat (and the Cigale 16) to be perfect it would only need a version with a swing keel, the same type used on the POGO. Than we would have a boat with all the RM and added stiffness provided by a very low CG (as it is already now) provided by a deep ballasted keel but with the possibility of taking shelter anywhere and entering all those little traditional old ports that many times have only 1.5/1.8 m of water.

I guess that they will develop one version like that. They announced a draft of 2.85m and that limits a lot the boat in what regards draft. The designer, Marc Lombard, has developed a swing keel system (similar to the one developed initially by Finot) a system that is already used on some of his designs, like for instance the Wauquiez Opium 39. It seems to me that it would make all sense to have it on this boat.

And as it seems that type of bulbed ballasted swing keel can be applied to big yachts. Here a beautiful Lombard design for a 105fter that uses the system:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook