SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do I get insurance and how much does it cost?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: How do I get insurance and how much does it cost?

It's just always seemed to me that it's one of those services that since people either have to get it to get insurance, or are spending alot on a boat and are nervous, that the surveyor can charge a price that is out of line with the service provided. It's not in line with other costs in this world.

A survey out of the water I think costs $1000, in water 200-500. That's completely rediculous. Mechanics don't charge that much to work on your car. I just got towed in a blizzard in Wyoming, and for the guy to come in a blizzard out in the middle of nowhere and take me to town at night it cost $150. A long haul truck driver gets $500 to go to Dallas TX at midnight, spend 2 hours getting loaded, then spend the next four days of his life, dodging police, weather, accidents, and then fight traffic in L.A. to spend 2 more hours delivering for $500.

So how does some guy charge $500 to come poke at a boat? Not happening. It's worth $100.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook