SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fluke 87
Thread: Fluke 87
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Fluke 87

For general AC and DC measurements that most of us do I don't think a frequent calibration is likely needed, esp with a Fluke. Shock's fact that the Flukes rarely actually need calibration is good news.

A cheap meter can actually degrade a voltage measurement if they act as a partial short - the advantage of the Flukes is their high ohms/volt internal resistance.

And yes, it will make you look like you know what you're doing .. One thing.. if you're experimenting with a good meter like a Fluke you might want to buy a couple of the current cct fuses to have on hand in case you neglect to move the leads to the proper location. I advise my students to buy a couple of each (they're not cheap) and they usually go through them before they figure it out. Also always stow it with the leads plugged into the voltage ports.

At the risk of offending Shock (maybe..?) the only time the fuse on my own Fluke blew was when I loaned it to an electrician....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook