SailNet Community - View Single Post - Roller Furling Halyard Wrap
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Roller Furling Halyard Wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
The top swivel is some distance from the top of the foil and I may have to use the sheave solution. I was hoping to avoid that but if it has to be done; it has to be done. It seems odd to me that it has only happened once and didn't happen again. The sail wrapping didn't look right either yesterday when it happened. It occurred to me that somehow the sail was preventing the top swivel from swivelling. I don't know how that is possible because the top of the sail is attached to the bottom of the lower portion of the swivelling mechanism, the part that is supposed to wrap.
If, say, your swivel ends up 3 feet from the top of the foil, if you add a 3 foot pennant (just a line extender - it could be wire or a piece of Dyneema or equivalent) to the sail that will move the swivel up high enough that halyard wrap will be much less likely. You can add the pennant to the head, or the tack, depending on whether you want the increased visiblity with the sail up higher off the deck (pennant on tack) or just want to get the swivel up (pennant on head).

You do need an accurate measurement of the 'distance'.. difficult to judge aloft.. if the pennant's too long you won't be able to get proper halyard tension.

For guaranteed elimination a halyard restrainer is best. BTW it needn't be a sheave, there are padeye style fittings that work fine. It does involve a trip aloft to install.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook