SailNet Community - View Single Post - I've become very concerned about the weather...
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Re: I've become very concerned about the weather...

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
PNW- Isolated islands with secluded anchorages, cheap marinas, well, it's got almost everything, it's the perfect starter cruising grounds...except the weather is terrible.

I'm now worried that instead of having fun, learning sailing skills, I will sit in a marina huddled around a space heater trying to dry off. It's realy silly to change plans now, after all the research I've put into things, but what if summer never comes? People up there said the last three summers have come late and been short. If you look at the San Juans on a sunny day, it doesn't look like a better place exists, but if those days are few and far between I'm not sure it would be worth it.
The winter, late fall and early spring...
You will learn to love the rain in short order I would think. The rain makes the west coast what it is. The remote and isolated hikes through the tall overgrown deep forests don't feel right unless they're wet. The inlets don't look right unless the clouds are clinging to the mountains. There are many of us out cruising all year long. The best prawning and crabbing is right now at this time of year. Some of the best sailing is right now. There is beauty in all this, both summer and winter.

Today I'm in a light hoodie looking at steep snow covered mountain tops, rain every couple of hours and sunshine in between. All this and surrounded by what must be thousands of mussel ducks and all kinds of other wildlife. The PNW has much to offer...Enjoy it! One more thing, the summers are hot and nice. Did I mention that we can be sailing the Salish Sea shirtless in the summer and 45 minutes later we can be downhill skiing, cross country skiing or snowshoeing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook