SailNet Community - View Single Post - Better than a PFD. A wearable liferaft!!!
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Better than a PFD. A wearable liferaft!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
I wonder how this "raft" will behave with a big sea running and it's blowing 60 knots? If you get tumbled while zipped up in this contraption it might be hard to recover. I wonder if they have any real world testing of how it performs at sea.
Probably not great is what I'm thinking, but then again, is it better than a PFD for the same situation?? Keeping your head above water with 4" of freeboard wouldn't be easy in the above situation either.

I saw a raft pretty much exactly like this one once (in green) on Ebay. The raft was a military surplus pilot's raft for when the eject. The military usually puts some "real world" testing into things like this. On the other hand, like any fabric raft, I'd say it ain't perfect but it usually beats the next best option....

Here is a military surplus raft for sale:
Vietnam Era Surplus Raft

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook