SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bounty, 2 minute mutiny?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Bounty, 2 minute mutiny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Caleb thanks for posting this.

I avoided the endless Bounty thread because it was just endless speculation based on media reports of questionable accuracy.

But reading through the detailed accounts of witness and expert testimony you can't help but feel anger towards the captain and the ship's owners - especially when you read the testimony of the captain of the Picton Castle, a much more robust vessel, who advised the Bounty's captain NOT to put to sea.

Then when you consider she had a hogged back, rotted frames and poorly maintained pumps... Again it just makes you angry that an experienced captain would be so cavalier in risking the lives of his crew.
The Bounty thread was very extensive coverage of he testimony day by day. I for one watched the live stream every day. While his writings were one what impartial thy we're not complete.

It is very simplistic to just blame Walbridge and of course he does get his portion of he blame and I don't want to minimize it in any way shape or form

If that is all you learned from the investigation, no future lessons could be ha d.

What is also apparent to me is that the yard who fixed Bounty may have done a substandard job, they had been sued previously. Also the yard may have done and extensive refit on top of old rotted framework. There was a responsibility had by the owners which didn't come out yet as they took the fifth. But what came out was a reason for needed to be in Florida or funding. This wont be possible in the civil suits.There is the crew which were woefully amateurish and hd no knowledge . There was the waterproofing of the seems. There was the pumps and issue how much normal water was on this boat.

So yes the Captain ultimately was to blame. But here are other culpabilities which may lead to future lawsuits as well as regulations of a display vs seagoing vessel and how they can be held or CG inspection.

When the first shuttle blew it would be simplistic to jut name the launch director. Has that been done and we moved on there would not have been the myriad of other benefits the investigation revealed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook