SailNet Community - View Single Post - I've become very concerned about the weather...
View Single Post
  #15  
Old 03-18-2013
Alex W's Avatar
Alex W Alex W is offline
always busy with sailing
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,049
Thanks: 2
Thanked 117 Times in 112 Posts
Rep Power: 2
Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: I've become very concerned about the weather...

Don't pay attention the forecast summary, read the details. I spent almost the entire weekend outside in Seattle (half of it on the water) and spent less than an hour total in the rain. Bring good clothes and enjoy the great scenery and sailing.

Also realize that most weather forecasts draw a rain symbol if there is a 30% chance of rain. There is always a 30% chance of rain here at this time of year, but that still means that 70% of the time it's not raining. Today was sunny until about 3pm. Last night at sunset I took this photo just outside of Shilshole marina:


The wind was weird this weekend. Both yesterday and today it switched between periods of being 5mph and 25mph and also kept switching between a northerly and a southerly.
__________________
boats that I sail on regularly: Pearson 28-2, Rondar 505, Yankee 30, Blanchard Junior
Seattle, WA

Last edited by Alex W; 03-18-2013 at 01:27 AM. Reason: removed the dangerous phrase "ignore the forecast"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook