SailNet Community - View Single Post - Florida to Bahamas in May
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013

campuscab is on a distinguished road
The boat is solid. If she can handle Lake Erie she can make it from Florida to the West End. People take over 19' West Wight Potters all the time.

I will bring my family over after I cross the stream. My wife will not sail or fly so I will have to bring them over on a power boat or ferry.

The hard part will be getting the equipment I want and keeping everything safe. When I did law enforcement I found out that you can't control life but the better you are trained and equipped the better you can handle when things go wrong. If you plan for the worst, pray for the best you end up in the middle. I have spent tons on stuff I have never needed but the times I have I have never regretted it.

I have been caught on Erie in bad weather and have a great respect for the water. I learned very quick when I was on a run about and watched sailboats glide past me that they can handle bad weather better than most power boats.

I could buy a bigger boat but that defeats the purpose. The Cal 20 is a tough cheap boat that I can trailer easy. I can tow more with a 3500 van but if i burn more than the boat cost in gas then it would not be worth moving.

I like the 20 because it is simple and parts are cheap. The 3.5 draft doesn't hurt either.
With the cost of the boat being so low I could have not chartered one for a week or two.

The May timeline is pushing it a bit, only giving me a month to shake down the boat.
It depends on how well I can outfit the boat and how much time I can get on it between now and then because it is still frozen in Michigan.

It will not be as epic as Black Feathers or Lone Gull but 60 miles across the Gulf Stream will be like circling the world to me. It will make It'l Do immortal letting her take her place in blog history with the other Cal 20s.

So maybe it is a dream but isn't that what sailing is about. I just get annoyed by cruisers that think you need to sell your,house to buy a boat and cruise. I do not need a ice maker or a 150k to sail. I took a 1978 motor cycle and set a record before on a pizza drivers budget. I was not the wealthiest out there but listening to the old timers I was the fastest.

So the point is properly set up with good planning and weather this should be an amazing trip (and safe). I could sit here and read about adventure for years or when the ice melts go do it.

Last edited by campuscab; 03-18-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook