SailNet Community - View Single Post - Experience with TowBoat US
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road
Re: Experience with TowBoat US

I had the atom bomb blow up 100yds north of a bridge- in the icw north of Sebastian inlet. I had no sail out as I was goin straight into the 25 knots of wind and couldn't keep them from flogging. I threw out the hook and it never set- I pulled it in- along with a huge ball of weeds. I mean huge. I threw all this mess on the deck grabbed the main halyard and got the sail up. With less than a boat length between me and a fisherman's bridge under the causeway that was goin to kill the boat I started short tacking my full keel boat- with about a storm jib worth of Jenny and an unreeled main. Trying to short tack and stay in the channel was the equivalent of being on a treadmill. I couldn't get even 100 yards above the bridge. I didn't have time to get the anchor squared away and drop it. I did however give tboat a call on VHF. They got there quick enough- the skipper was like "what - you tired of sailing?"

Nonmember. Got billed the 250 for an hour- bit not any additional charges for being out in a small craft advisory- and certainly not any salvage fee. The operator also gave me a ride from Melbourne to Orlando for free- and I bought another anchor and chain at a good price- something from the salvage end if the business.

All in all a really good experience- other than the subsequent wrenchathon... Anyway- I'm a member now.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook