SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Next and Hopefully Last Boat - Which One?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: My Next and Hopefully Last Boat - Which One?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
The price you pay????? These boats are one of the best bargains out there. They now sell for around $20000.
To the OP yes I've owned both the 5 and 4 foot draft boats they are bolt on keels.
Did you read the whole thing I said about the C H37? The ability of the boat is in the 2nd to none category. But I do not personally like the look of it etc. So it would not be on my short list! The one on my dock, yeah I could buy it for $20-30K, I would need to put that much minimum into it to make it offshore worthy! ie replace the original standing and running rigging, sails, cushions etc, as that owner has pretty much done maintenance at a reasonable level, but replace what needs to be replaced has not occurred. This $20K boat you are talking about, will be in the $75-100K range really fast and quick. It would be better to spend a bit more and get one with recent upgrades.

For the OP's wants and needs, I would look at a tartan 37, or the Jeanneau sun shine 36/38 I mentioned in the drop/centerboard models. I like the look of those two better than the Hunter.

I know of 2 that have these boats. I have not seen the 2nd. Frankly, both love the boats! So it would be a good boat model. Just does not fit me!

Marty