SailNet Community - View Single Post - How can this happen? Shroud Tension
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: How can this happen? Shroud Tension

I had a P26, too - great boat. If I remember correctly, both uppers and lowers attach to a fiberglass knee adjoining the bulkhead in between slots in the fiberglass head liner.

Well assuming all the fittings were in their proper positions, there are only three possibilities with single lowers and uppers: (1) the mast step/compression post/bilge dropped, (2) the bulkhead attachments moved, or (3) the mast itself moved. It would seem the first 2 would affect uppers and lowers equally. Therefore, I would guess that your mast was not in proper vertical column so the middle of the mast was either forward or aft of its place (difficult to imagine with a mast as thick and elliptical shaped as the P26). The forces of sailing accidentally brought the mast in column, so the lowers are now slack. Tighten them up!

Did you sight up the mast from the side and back to see straight lines? Do you see any movement of the bulkhead with respect to the inner liner? Was the new bulkhead properly seated against the deck between the head liner?

Last edited by jameswilson29; 03-18-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook