SailNet Community - View Single Post - Florida to Bahamas in May
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road
Re: Florida to Bahamas in May

Really? The keys aren't all that akin to the Bahamas. That's like comparing lake eeir to the stream. What- they're both navigable waters? What- they're both island chains of similar geography/ geology.

Florida sucks. The bajamas are pretty sweet.

What is the no sailing no flying wife goin to do?

I'm all for you doing the passge in the cal 20. I don't think it'll do much for the immortality of the boat or you however. And I'm curious about background- ie- how long have you spent out crusing with the famdamily in the 20 at a time?

Anyway- me- i say head south for a shorter passage- ie Bimini. And i would be stoked to hav a 20 footer with 3.5 foot draft around andros. So hit that up- pretty excellent sailin and fishing and not much of a cruiser/ yacht scene. It's like being in a foreign country!!!

The banks in any kind of cold front or other real wind will get a really big steep short chop that'll be pretty intense in a twenty footer. You'll likely feel pretty beat up after a banks passage if its blowing at all- say 15 or so. You can get Long period swell in the stream that'll be fine. Or- you won't, and likely feel pretty beat up after the Gulf Stream passage as well.

But it's all coastal crusing. Watch the weather. Compare a few sources. Blah blah blah. All the normal advice.

Don't listen to anyone tell you the keys is the way to go. If you want the bajamas Teh keys can only disappoint.

It's very possible that this whole idea is simply terrible however- and that you might be better off singlehanding for a couple weeks- making a couple big passages and then meeting the family at Disney.

Or I would sail over- meet the family and all stay someplace and just day sail. Maybe take an overnight. 20' isn't a family boat. Especially with a no sailin no flying wife. Duh.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook