SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ipad as sailing instrument....
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Ipad as sailing instrument....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
Well here is a solution....

SailTimer Wind Vane

Its a wireless windvane that transits data to an ipad/iphone. Its solar powered and requires ZERO wiring. Its about $600, but then you buy no other hardware. This will display speed, GPS, and works with a number of apps, like iRegatta. I am going to seriously look into this.
I've been curious about that for a few months. I'd appreciate comments from anyone who buys it.

I have a very bright Netbook that I keep mounted in the cockpit and use it continuously for chartplotter and AIS display as long as the weather is dry. My software will put a graphical wind display right on the laptop from an external Bluetooth signal, so the SailTimer would be a very simple install. But the price tag (and concern over my electronics getting too complex) is enough to make me wait another season before pulling the trigger.

If someone buys it, let us know how it works out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 03-18-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook