SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bounty, 2 minute mutiny?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Bounty, 2 minute mutiny?

I knew I could count on Chef Dave's input at some point on this thread. A Chesapeake Lion can't resist a chance to air his views!!! (:G-

The CG investigation is going down like any marine casualty/loss inquiry with many contributing factors coming into play. That not withstanding, Walbridge's peers all thought he was crazy for leaving New London when he did. Even if the boat's crew, hull structures and equipment had been up for it (which they were not) it was because of him that they found themselves where they were. The other contributing factors had very little to do with placing the Bounty where it ultimately met it's demise. I'll also point out that the nonfunctional bilge pumps, generators and engines were all ultimately the captains responsibility too, even if some less than competent volunteer had been placed in charge of them de facto.

I know you liked him Dave and have been one of his few staunch supporters here. You are entitled to your opinion based on your past aquaintance with the man, but he lost his life due to bad judgment. I'm sure we have all done some things that were poor choices of judgment at least once. None of use (still living) have had to pay for those choices with our lives. It is very sad for everyone involved and a warning to those of us on smaller boats not to bite off more than we can chew.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook