SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Next and Hopefully Last Boat - Which One?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013
SailAway

maccauley123 is on a distinguished road
Re: My Next and Hopefully Last Boat - Which One?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Did you read the whole thing I said about the C H37? The ability of the boat is in the 2nd to none category. But I do not personally like the look of it etc. So it would not be on my short list! The one on my dock, yeah I could buy it for $20-30K, I would need to put that much minimum into it to make it offshore worthy! ie replace the original standing and running rigging, sails, cushions etc, as that owner has pretty much done maintenance at a reasonable level, but replace what needs to be replaced has not occurred. This $20K boat you are talking about, will be in the $75-100K range really fast and quick. It would be better to spend a bit more and get one with recent upgrades.

For the OP's wants and needs, I would look at a tartan 37, or the Jeanneau sun shine 36/38 I mentioned in the drop/centerboard models. I like the look of those two better than the Hunter.

I know of 2 that have these boats. I have not seen the 2nd. Frankly, both love the boats! So it would be a good boat model. Just does not fit me!

Marty
I think what you say about maybe needing to put money in to standing and running rigging, sails, cushions, etc could apply to any boat of that vintage. If it is a 1980s boat and all of that stuff is original then it could need to be replaced whether it is a Hunter or a Sabre. That kind of stuff just wears out. The advantage to the H37C it seems is a solid foundation boat with many of the features I am looking for at a great price around 20-25k. That leaves a whole lot of room in the budget to do those projects. If I got a Beneteau for 45k and I need to do the same things, just as possible, then I am in much deeper. My goal is to figure out which model meets my requirements and hopefully has had much of that work done already to keep it up. I'm in no rush. From what I am seeing the models I have found are the best ones available to meet my budget and desired features.

Get out there!

Saco Bay, Maine
2001 Beneteau Oceanis 361
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook