SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why Children should go cruising
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Why Children should go cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin and Larry View Post
I was given permission to use a lovely story Ian Johnstone sent to the Flying Fish, the ocean Cruising Clubs year book (well, twice a year book actually), I think he shows a well balanced view of cruising with children and the reasons he and his wife love it. You can see it under our cruising tip section. Here's the URL - Why you should take Children Cruising | Lin & Larry Pardey: Newsletters & Cruising Tips

We have always tried to encourage folks to take their children sailing. Even had the fun of teaching several cruising children to sail in our dinghies, Cheeky and Rinky Dink. When I meet them as adults, they always talk of the freedom and fun they had in those small tenders.
Hey Lin and Larry,

Nice post.

I just wanted to add, after reading the section you posted, how important it is to try and find other kid boats and try and keep it kid focused. THey mentioned that in their article, and I wholly agree. As a cruising dad with two boys (same age as their kids, incidentally), I have found our kids socialize very well with adults and other cruisers and other cruising kids. However, with land based kids, there is a gap. But they need that interaction with other kids badly... and it is with other cruising kids that they can all speak te same language.

Funny... our boat also has a PS3 and Wii, and when we are around other boating kids, guess where they all are? I am not saying every parent should do that, but like the authors of the post, it is not bad every once in a while.

Another trick we have learned is a way to get them off the boat to explore on their own. We originally got my oldest a tender, but both he and his brother came to prefer kayaks. THey have been awesome and are cheap. As a cruising parent, I would suggest looking into that.

Anyways, good article L&L.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook