SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tires as Fenders
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Tires as Fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
As far as tires, I saw how smack lost his boat. Was wondering how the boats would have fared if the dock had tires tied to where the boats bows made contact. I am thinking of doing this in case I break a dock line and the bow starts contacting the pier (I go bow in). Might buy some time before the bow is heavily damaged. Would also help me on my not so perfect docking manuvers.
I have seen the surge in the harnors in Niwilliwilli and also in Lahina and how they can really big dramatic. What about a large fender board with fenders on both sides. It would cushion the shock doubly. They work well on fixed docks. In your case you may want to attach the fender board to the edge of the floating dock with cleats. Having fenders of both side of the board amkes it like the Nascar safer barrier in theat it gives and the soick compresses on both sdes at contact.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook