SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Next and Hopefully Last Boat - Which One?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: My Next and Hopefully Last Boat - Which One?

HERE is some info on the Jeanneau version of the Oday 40. along with who recently took one around the world. Not to say this is better per say than the H37C.

As faster said above, the boat you choose needs to tug at your heart strings. Frankly, as I have tried to say about the H37C, it does not! It is a good boat for off shore work. It would not be my first choice.

Yes you can buy any of these boats for a song. I did that with my 85 Jeanneau that is about the size you have. I have proceeded to dump some 40-50K into it, redoing the interior, along with all of the sails etc. Have not done the standing rigging as of yet.....Most folks I know that buy older boats, it comes down to a how my $ vs cost did you spend? 3 or 4-1 is a pretty common figure. Spend 20 on the boat, you can figure 60-80K fixing it up to be like new if that is your goal! Some do it for less........

OR, as I should/could have done. bought a 3-5 yr old boat for about what I have into my boat. Then again, I would not have had those 3 yrs of weekend playing on the boat, when I could have been playing IN the boat sailing it, vs working on it! For what you could easily spend upgrading a H37C, you could buy one that needs very few $$ and take off next month, vs next year. This could also include an O'Day 39 or 40, the jeanneau Sun Fizz variants....or any other older boat you choose. Just make sure you like the look! along with it will do what you want it to do.

Marty