SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sail slide track won't allow quick reefing
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013

Rusty123 is on a distinguished road
Sail slide track won't allow quick reefing

I've been practicing reefing the mainsail on my new-to-me Spirit 28 at the dock. All the systems seem to work just fine, except one. The mainsail attaches to nylon slides that fit into a track on the aft side of the mast. There is an opening in the track about one foot above the boom where the slides can be removed or inserted. In order to keep them from falling out, there is spring loaded slide lock that fills the opening, and is removed in order to insert or remove sail slides.

In order to get the reef cringle low enough to attach to the hook, I need to remove some slides from the track. And in order to do that, I have to remove the spring loaded lock, pull out a few slides, and then reinsert it. Easy enough to do at dockside, but it seems a little cumbersome to be doing during a blow. And if I were to accidentally drop the slide lock over the side, I'd have a difficult time raising and lowering the sail.

Does anyone else have a sail/slide arrangement like this, and if so, is there an alternate way to reef which isn't so intricate?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook