SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sail slide track won't allow quick reefing
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013

Rusty123 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sail slide track won't allow quick reefing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
What's odd is that my gate in the track is an opening at the side, so that the slides will pass the gate unimpeded, even when the gate is closed, and stack up from the height of the boom.

I think there is something wrong with the spring-loaded mechanism. It shouldn't block the track when closed.

Is there a Spirit 28 forum anywhere?
My track gate is basically a wide area in the slot. The retention mechanism (stopper) is a metal slide with a spring loaded pin that snaps into a hole in the bottom of the track, preventing access to the gate. So there's no way for the slides to bypass the gate with the stopper in place. Although if I pull out the stopper, it's possible to guide the slides past the gate so that they drop down to the boom. At which point the reefing jackline would probably provide enough slack to engage the horn.

So maybe that's how it's designed to be used. I suppose I could rig up a retention cable for the stopper so I wouldn't drop it over the side when I pull it out.

There are a few Spirit 28 sites out there, but they're pretty rudimentary -- not much in the way of forums. But I'll poke around and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook