SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tires as Fenders
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Tires as Fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I have seen the surge in the harnors in Niwilliwilli and also in Lahina and how they can really big dramatic. What about a large fender board with fenders on both sides. It would cushion the shock doubly. They work well on fixed docks. In your case you may want to attach the fender board to the edge of the floating dock with cleats. Having fenders of both side of the board amkes it like the Nascar safer barrier in theat it gives and the soick compresses on both sdes at contact.
Chef may be on to something here. While fender boards are typically used to bridge pilings that a fender would slip past, they also distribute the load across more than one fender. If you're have unusual pinning against your floating dock, there may be something to spreading it out. Often, one or two fenders take the brunt.

I put out six fenders, when only two take most of the pressure under normal conditions. I rotate which two are in that position, so they don't wear more quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook