SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Next and Hopefully Last Boat - Which One?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: My Next and Hopefully Last Boat - Which One?

For a boat of this type and size, sails along will be $3-5G. If you pay 20G, you are at %25. Cushions and covers. another $5-10. Re do the rigging. You have 500-1000 just pulling and replacing the mast. much less the wire part. My lines were 2-3g, granted I upgraded from sta-set, you're boat will be more! A gps/chartplotter no matter the cost of the boat, 1-4g depending upon models. To redo the foam backed vinyl liner on my hill was 2-3G for materials, much less the 60 some hrs to do the work. I had quotes of $10G for others with labor!

Not sure where I am at frankly for a total, but if you buy a boat that needs all the above. figure $40-60K on top of the purchase price. By the time you do the above, you would have been better off to get a more expensive boat, and start sailing today! If you do a lot of the work yourself, yes you save, but I have locally also found may say about 3 yrs to get the boat to the way you want it. That was about right for me. Since I race my boat, my sail inventory came out to around $15K for a boat the size of you Ericson 29. Which by the way, do have some 35-40' boat models. I paid $18 for my boat, overall in good shape. but once I started redoing some things. it just kept going and going and going..........

If you want to argue the 20-30% fine. But even Sailing when they do the yearly refab boats in about Jan/Feb many are in the 30-50% range, I've seen a high of 80% depending upon the initial cost of the boat. My 3-4 times is not completely off as you can see. Like my cushions came out to around 10G. I had quotes as little as 5-6G, but spouse wanted the curve seats, buttons, piping, upgraded foam in the berth area, etc, all of which cost more to get done! so we came in almost double than the lowest reasonable cost things to get done.

Sails, one fellow came on here blasting a sail he got. Paid $1500 for one twice the size of mine. My base main is in the $1500 range! I would expect 2500-3000 for that sail. His boat IIRC was also in the upper 30' range.

Look prices up before getting too far into this possible project BEFORE buying a boat if you think 20% is all you need!

Marty

Last edited by blt2ski; 03-19-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook