SailNet Community - View Single Post - Installing a bow floodlight
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Installing a bow floodlight

I agree with eherlily, something removeable off the bow pulpit. A sailboat takes too much water over the bow for anything permanently mounted versus the typical motor vessel that generally has it pretty high off the foredeck.

I would look into premanently mounting a piece of thick starboard (or teak... depends on what look you want) which can also be a great little seat. We have been wanting to do this for a while, just has not made it out of the bucket list yet. The have the light mounted under the board which can be removeable. You will know ahead of time when you will need it and can prepare appropriately.

If you have a windlass, you can pull power off of that. I doubt you will want to run a long cord to it because of the large wiring and potential voltage loss you will incur. Maybe pull something out of the forward cabin if you can still close the hatch?? You will need a convenient way to turn it on/off so you don't blind approaching boaters. I would still just keep it simple though. I guess if you want to make it a bit more complicated, you could always rig a relay with switch in the cockpit??? So you know, I recently saw a 1 mil candlepower LED spot light which was a low draw (compared to incadescents/halogens).

As a long term resident of Fort Myers Beach (I even owned a house right off Cattle Point in the Cape on the water), I completely understand where you are coming from. THe waterways are very narrow from cabbage key to Fort Myers, including the dreaded miserable mile which is totally unforgiving. THe use of a spot light inevitably kills your night vision if it hits any rigging... which was mentioned earlier in this thread. I agree with the other posters that I would not put it anywhere it could hit rigging.

Brian

PS I am in the mooring field in FMB right now. Are you in FMB or Fort Myers?

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook