SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why Children should go cruising
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Why Children should go cruising

The only good reason to have children cruising is to lower the average age of cruisers from 89 to 86....

It's really not a conducive environment for kids to grow up with very very few of their peers.

So many cruisers say the kids are much more 'advanced' and can communicate wi adults like adults. But I beg to differ... The kids can't communicate with other people their own age!

I saw a group of 13 and 14 year old boys and girls meet for the first time, about 5 of them, but I couldn't really count as they keep wriggling, and none knew what to do to relate to each other!

In different ports its often one finds a child who really is very deficient in the normal skills a kid needs to survive life... Except to be able to open coconuts and speak to retiree cruisers.

The parents may think its so cool never to have TV and never to be exposed to the news and current affairs of the bad old big world, but that's setting the kids up to have a devastatingly bad transition back to normal life when they can finally escape the tyranny of their claustrophobic parents.

Of the group of 14 year olds mentioned above the ONLY freedom they seem to have is to be allowed to drive the dinghy! Most families don't have two dinghies so the kids can go explore and adventure. They can only go with mum and dad or be shunted around when older like a aquatic version of Mums Taxi.

If willing to subject your offspring to inferior school teaching (you) and a life of learning little about life then I think it's an absolute requirement to ensure they book into normal schools along the way (yes! They may have to study with a native kids!), combine cruising plans with other children from WELL BROUGHT UP FAMILIES, have extensive times in a home country, and have parents who have done some type of course in how to teach school work to remote located people.... And a whole lot more.

It probably obvious, if you are still reading this, that I don't have any children (though a rustling in the lazarette got me scared)... But that doesn't mean you can't listen to my view and take many, long, rational steps instead of just thinking its going to be a wonderful thing for yours.....

Mark

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 03-19-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook