SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bounty, 2 minute mutiny?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Re: Bounty, 2 minute mutiny?

Like others, I have avoided the endless Bounty debates. Thank you for posting the link to the day-by-day account of the hearings.

To me, all this points to the biggest danger we all face. In aviation it is called get-home-itis. That notion that "I have a schedule to keep, and I have to find a way to keep it." It is amazing how powerful that can be, and how it can cause experienced and otherwise intelligent people to make incredibly stupid decisions.

While there is clearly plenty of blame to go around, under it all, that really seems to me to be what was driving Capt. Wallbridge. He loved the Bounty, and knew that it's long-term salvation probably lay with the group in Florida. He was scheduled to show them the boat on such-and-such a day, so he had to get there, and rationalized heading out into the storm because of it.

The weather and the sea are completely unforgiving of our puny plans. As has been said here many times, but as we all need to keep reminding ourselves at every turn, a schedule is the most dangerous thing that you can take to sea.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook