SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ipad as sailing instrument....
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Ipad as sailing instrument....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
...I had expressed concerns about the MarineTraffic.com website and MarineTraffic smartphone apps. Those get their data over the internet through a network of volunteer receiving stations that upload their data to a central server. The website warns against using their data for navigation. I am more concerned about blackout zones than time delays, since one of the "volunteer receivers" could go down at any time without warning, leaving certain regions with no coverage.
This is very true. I have a buddy sailed up to RI. He and I planned to rendezvous in open water and flotilla for a week up the coast. He had AIS broadcasting, so I used my iPad on marine traffic to find him. He was there one minute, gone for an hour, back again. It was rediculous. I finally called him on his cell and asked him to read me his coordinates, which I just sailed toward. When I finally found in the binoculars about 5 miles away, he still wasn't on the app.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook