SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ipad as sailing instrument....
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013

bacampbe is on a distinguished road
Re: Ipad as sailing instrument....

[Edit: This was in reply to Vency's pics. Somehow 2 pages worth of posts came in while I was typing, so it's been mostly overtaken by events.]

Nice. Do you know the integration details?

In spite of my comment about daytime readability, I've been considering going this route myself. My old C80 has screen damage. I am considering taking taking that as an upgrade opportunity, but the cost of a modern MPD with a similar screen size is considerably higher than the cost of a lower end iPad plus water proof case.

But integrating into you on-board systems is more than just installing the right apps on your iPad. Others have mentioned NMEA wifi bridges--what are people's experience with those? How solid are they? The sort of fiddliness we are used to putting up with for home networks would not be not good for marine instrument networks. The last thing I want to do is troubleshoot a wifi connection during a blow or have my sounder stop reporting in skinny water.

The big marine electronic venders seem to almost willfully get wifi integration wrong, doing things like insisting on hosting their own network rather than joining an existing one. That makes it hard to do things live internet integration via a phone or iPad.

Last edited by bacampbe; 03-19-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook